click for larger view
Like I mentioned, I’m going through some of my files. Here’s one.
I go through artistic periods where certain themes and certain colors predominate. Emergence, originally rendered and mastered in 2005 is numbered among what I call my whimsies. Elegant, enigmatic, and very speculative, I was working on science fiction images when I got tired of doing stars, planets, and nebula, and this “emerged.”
For a very nice pre-made book cover, I add a sister image–that which it emerges from–as a background for the spine and back cover.
click for larger view
There’s a reason why I should stick to my decisions NOT to work outside my own preferences in graphic art. Here’s an example. This was a mock-up–a rough workup of an image–that I did in response to a request. Originally, the contact needed an image similar to one they already had, but changed enough so that it wouldn’t look like the other image which was copyrighted. I did my first mock-up and realized the image I had created was much too close to the original, so I did a second mock-up, sending it along to the client. Client asked for adjustments…and in that list was adding in a mermaid, a clipper ship, a waterfall, etc., etc., etc., none of which were in the original image. Now, the clipper ship was manageable, and, using stock images, so was the mermaid…except that they now wanted a blonde mermaid. Well, I tried. I really did, and the mermaid I created, from scratch, no less, actually is quite beautiful. The problem was my “clutter phobia” kicked in when I layered her in…and that ended the whole thing for me, right then and there. I emailed the client and sent them over to Deviatart.com to find an artist there who does this kind of work as their personal style.
Here’s the image, and, remember, this is a rough-out, not a finalized, polished, clean image,…and without the mermaid.
I’ve decided it’s just probably best to do “recent projects” as I do them…when I can share them, that is. Those I can’t, I’ll just mention in passing, I guess. (Some projects are private, belonging to a family with images they don’t want shared; others are commercial projects under non-disclosure agreements…of which I get a lot, so there’s no sharing those, at all. Sorry.)
Anyway, this morning’s first project was a “need it now” CD jewel case that had to be brought up to professional specs. The cost to do a job like this is usually around $30 to $60 USD, for those who are wondering.
Here’s a look:
CD cover front panel
CD cover back panel
CD cover disk art